31 May 2007

The Week of 1000 Miles

Sunday, May 20th: to Detroit

Driving to Detroit hardly accounts as a significant trip, but it became the first of the series of events in what became an eventful week.

The occasion for driving downtown was Game #2 of my six-game Detroit Tigers season ticket package. Game #1's balmy, sunny 74 degree reason-to-be-alive weather was replaced by 62 degrees, cloudy with a consistently chilly 15 mph wind that made me thankful I decided to grab a jacket just before heading out the door. The forecast for a break in the clouds and afternoon sunshine came to fruition around 5:00pm, after already returning home from the game. As it turns out, the right field, upper deck seats near the foul pole my friends and I occupy, not only provide a great vantage from which to watch the game, but also a great spot to pick up a wind burn.

Despite the lackluster weather, the Tigers got a strong outing from Justin Verlander and Brandon Inge hits his 8th home run. In the three Tigers' games I've attended this year, I've now witnessed 25% of Binge's home runs and his batting average fluctuate from .139 to .128, .122 to .156 and from .225 to .227. Way to knock the cover off the ball, Slugger!

Tigers beat the Cardinals 6-3.

Round trip mileage: 98

No comments: